Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Trike Nose Gear issue

General building discussions, not model specific.
GaryK

Trike Nose Gear issue

Post by GaryK » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:12 pm

Has anyone else had any issue with the Trike Nose Gear on Rebels,Yukon or Moose? I just had an issue with the free mastering Yukon Nose Gear that is set with torqueing the axial bolt to provide some pivot resistance to avoid Shimming. The flight had moderate turbulence and at Touchdown the Nose Gear was sideways, it caused a bounce but when the nose came down not when the mains touched. The Pivot Housing (p/n NG111) was bent down about 20 deg and twisted about 6 degrees. The camber was then so far off it took full right rudder and max brake to keep it on runway. The tire sidewall showed scuffing in just in one area helping to prove that it was sideways. The Trailing point of contact is not too far behind the pivot axis so the forward wind was not strong enough to center up the wheel from whatever position the turbulence jolted it to. The scuff mark was 3" up the sidewall of the tire so I am lucky it did not blow the tire.
Prior to this incidence I had 2 other landings, after turbulence ,that had a jolt and very short shutter at touchdown that I figured was the wheel no being straight at touchdown. They might have been just misaligned part way.

Luckily it looks like no other damage except bending the 1" x 2" flange on the Aluminum mount. I understand Murphy Aircraft is in middle of Nose Gear redesign but no details yet.
Below Photo shows sideview of mount, the bottom of the flange normally is straight
Pivot Mount Side view.jpeg
Below Phot show 6 deg twist
NG reaw view.jpeg
My plane is now stranded 600 miles from home waiting on part. :(

Would appreciate any comments of similar incidents.
Thanks

WCKP

Re: Trike Nose Gear issue

Post by WCKP » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:53 am

Gary,

The part # NG-111 was designed for the SR2500 and then adapted to the Yukon as an afterthought; originally there was different designed NG for the Yukon.

There weren't many trikes setups sold. Murphy should be able to get an original designed part out to you right away because there was plenty of stock sitting on the shelves. When ordering part from MAM make sure the bushing is installed in the NG111, it'll make the change over easier.

Nobody likes an AOG because of parts. Let me know if there is anything we can do for you.

Cheers,
Jeff M
West Coast Kit Planes Ltd.
www.westcoastkitplanes.com

Build Projects Status:
Rebel (New Build)
Elite (New Build)
Franklin Rebel (Flying)
Renegade:
(Waiting 10 yrs for paid Wheels/Brakes from MAM)

GaryK

Re: Trike Nose Gear issue

Post by GaryK » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:54 pm

Jeff, Thanks, factory has shipped a Nose Gear Housing with Bushings installed. I'll ream it to 1.500 after I get it.
I've also fab'd and designed a new Pinned Cap for Pivot to limit turn to 45deg. This should avoid landing with the gear a full 90 sideways.
Nose Gear 45.jpeg