Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Really liking this Rebel

General building discussions, not model specific.
WWhunter

Really liking this Rebel

Post by WWhunter » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:55 pm

Winter has come with a vengeance! I just flew a few days ago, landed on a frozen lake with a buddy that has a KF on Full Lotus floats with an RX1 Yamaha engine in it. He keeps the floats on year round since he lives on a lake. They work great as skis in the winter time.
Wife videoed me landing at my strip for the last time of the year. We got dumped on with snow a day later. 2' drifts on my strip now.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqXk6gOkGZs

Rebel on ice.jpg
signal-2021-12-29-18-06-22-015_2.mp4
(8.89 MiB) Downloaded 329 times

Ahewko

Re: Really liking this Rebel

Post by Ahewko » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:38 am

Nice landing! How's he liking the RX1, would it work in a Rebel?

WWhunter

Post by WWhunter » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:20 am

Ahewko,

He really likes it. It starts instantly in the cold weather and is very smooth running. I would think one would work very well in the Rebel. Light and gobs of power. I had an RX-1 sled with only 900 miles on it that I was thinking of using, but my projects days are over. Sold it to a friend who is building a gyro.

The guy that owns the KF is the guy that started the Yamaha Aircraft engine FB group. He posts under the name Anatolli. These engines are getting quite popular due to their HP potential and light weight. Only downside is trying to get insurance on an airplane powered by anything other than a certified type engine is cost prohibitive, if you can even find a company that will insure you.

c120pilot

Post by c120pilot » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:30 am

Nice airstrip! Rebel looks good on the 29's, good 3 point landing in the snow.

Curtis

irishfield

Post by irishfield » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:47 pm

Nice Keith, now get some skis on that thing before it's a repair thread!! Happy New Year !

WWhunter

Post by WWhunter » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:49 am

Thanks Wayne! Totally agree, I do not like flying with tires in the snow. They'll be on before the next flight.

I had plowed the runway a couple of days prior to this flight in anticipation of going to a fly-in near the Canadian border. That idea was scrubbed due to limited visibility. I had planned on putting the skis on the next day, the buddy with the Kitfox called asking if I wanted to fly around and land on a few lakes. South of me, they had little to no snow. Flew for an hour and a half enjoying the awesome day before coming home and landing. Wife happened to be there so she videoed my landing. I'm less than 30 hours in the Rebel, but I am getting a pretty good 'feel' for it's flying characteristics. I'm definitely gaining confidence with it.