Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Droop Wing Tip internal support

General building discussions, not model specific.
GaryK

Droop Wing Tip internal support

Post by GaryK » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:32 pm

I modified and added Spar extensions to help stiffen the Fiberglas Droop tip on my Yukon, The aft end of the wingtip was quite floppy with just the spade box support as mentioned in my Moose manual.
1) First of all I was not furnished any Spar Extensions for the Wing Tips so bent my own up with 0.032" and drilled 5" dia. lightening holes.
2) The Spar extension at front of the Spade had a doubler provided in the kit which was longer than the spade box so I added flanges to the part that extended past the provided spar extension. This added support 4" farther out at the spade corner.
3) Last modification was bending up a short spar extension 4.5" long that would attach the the spade box rib. The aft end of the wing tip is now quite stiff and also lined up with aileron except the tip was 5/8" longer than the aileron.
Wingtip structure.JPG
Droop Tip inner structure
4) Added more fiberglass resin and mat inside of trailing edge of tip and then cut end to match line of adjacent aileron. At same time, added a strip of fiber mat along full length inside the tip seam. The seam needed to be ground on outside and the seam joint seamed quite thin.
Fiberglas wing tip upgrade.JPG
Strip of fiberglass added at seam
Below photo does not show line of clecos/rivet holes of the last short spar extension and was taken before end of tip cut off to match aileron.
Fiberglass tip.JPG
almost Finished Tip install

mikeh

Re: Droop Wing Tip internal support

Post by mikeh » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:58 pm

Looks good Gary. FWIW I did a similar thing with main and rear spar extensions on our Rebel......without spades of course.
Cheers
Mike

Nedkelly

Post by Nedkelly » Sat May 02, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi im about to fit my elite droop tip.
How did you cut the tip..?
The manual says to set up at aileron reflex position..did you.
Did you set up on a wing ?or on a work bench.
And any pointers there.

How many stiffeners did you install top and bottom.
Did you connect them to wing stiffeners.

How did you attach the main spar extention. ?

Any other helpful photos appreciated. Manual sucks.

Anyone outthere intall led landing lite in tip,,?????what type and lumens?

Thanks in advance.
Other stuff.
I need help with tip install.
Windshield install. Trim hold down options.
Gas tank pressure test,,,possible to put access panels on temporary in case of leaks. ??

Cheers. Paul

Nedkelly

Post by Nedkelly » Sat May 02, 2020 12:19 pm

By the way. Great pics. Thanks for the post..

GaryK

Post by GaryK » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:47 pm

Paul, Sorry for late reply, I don't have email notification setup with the forum so didn't see your questions.
I cut tip with 0.040" abrasive cutoff disc in 4.5" did angle grinder. Yes I did set up the tip with aileron in the 5 deg reflex. I put the tips on when the wing was my assembly table. I put 3 stringers inside fiberglass top and another 3 each bottom not counting the spar extensions. They stop just 1/16" short of the wing skin. The spar extensions are attached with 3/4" rt angle x 1/8 thick that riveted to wing stringers inside of wing and then extend out though the last rib like the manual explained. A key point is to have tail of wingtip restrained to match aileron reflex when drilling tip to wing. This is important to have it aligned when it is done.

I also installed LED wingtip lights I used Wheel Microburst II series ( same as Microburst III but not certified) If you want planeFAA certified for night flight you will need the Microburst III lights. Installed a 0.032" doubler inside the fiberglas with anchor nuts for the light. Made the doubler 1" wider and longer than the light footprint.

As far as Gas Tank test, I used 50 inches of water as pressure and used a scheider valve ( inner tube stem valve ) so you can add in short bursts and avoid risk of blowing up tank. I wondered same thing about temp install of the gas tank access panels but was advised that the temp install and then the final install also created risks. I went ahead and prosealled the access panels and riveted. On left tank had one leak that was from center of an access panel tank rivet ( must have failed the end seal on rivet). Easy to proseal from outside.
Right tank had a slow leak through the tank rib inside the curl of the stringer on top skin. Cut access panel outside tank in bottom and repaired from there.
Tank pressure test.JPG

Jerry Folkerts

Post by Jerry Folkerts » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:22 am

I find a dremel with cutoff wheel is easiest to use on fiberglass. You get a really fine cut. I also did more cursing on wing tips than any other part of the build.
Jerry Folkerts
SW Colorado
SR 2500 #093
http://www.mykitlog.com/jfolkerts
http://www.thepedalrv.com

Nedkelly

Post by Nedkelly » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:42 am

Thanks for reply Garry. Still not done. Will eventually post pics.

c120pilot

Post by c120pilot » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:25 am

Gary,
Nice fiberglass work. I am fitting droop tips on my Rebel. I sort of copied what was done on a Moose. The trailing edge was flexible on mine as well so I added a second support connected to the original one just for alignment purposes. The main spar I used .040, rear spar is .032. It replaces the >032 doubler for the flaperon bracket. I extended all the stringers with .025 to keep it from flexing so much. The tip light I added .032 with a nut plate flush riveted. We put resin with microbeads on it to hold the fiberglass tip flat for the light to sit square. There are 2 standoffs and adel clamps to support the wires with an access hole to remove them if necessary. Not done with them yet.

Curtis
N175LW
Attachments
20200821_101740.jpg
20200821_101500.jpg
20200819_170333.jpg

c120pilot

Post by c120pilot » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:29 am

Here are a few more pictures.

Curtis
Attachments
20200819_170348 (1).jpg
20200825_161532.jpg
20200819_170323.jpg

monty777er

Post by monty777er » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:05 am

Very nice. I've yet to do my tips so this is helpful. However when I recieved my droop tips from MAM I did not get any additional parts. What should I have recieved such as stringer material and ribs?
Thanks
Monty

c120pilot

Post by c120pilot » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:31 pm

Monty,
I am still laughing..... MAM was very fast getting my tips. But there were no instructions, suggestions or parts with it. I fabricated all my pieces.
I overlapped them under the skin but on top of the spars and stringers. I ended up putting the stringers more like a U-shape than a J- shape. If they are a J- shape it would mean taking some meat out of the ribs and I didn't want to do that. They go under 4 rivets and up close you can barely see any difference.
The rear spar was the toughest. I removed the .032 doubler under the flaperon hinge and made the spar to match the factory spar. This makes the extention overlap more than necessary but didn't have to change anything on the flaperon hinges. I just back drilled all the original doubler holes.
The only thing is on the top trailing edge it put the extention under the spar and skin making a big step for the fiberglass tip. I added an .032 strip on top with a few flush rivets to smooth out this transition. Also narrowed the top of the rear extention to 1', just didn't need the extra width there (you can see it in the picture). The extra wedge trailing edge rib is .020 with a lightening hole. I used .025 L brackets to attach the ribs just because it's stronger there. I used a scrap piece of stringer material to attach the trailing ribs together to keep them parallel to each other.
It is a PITA but looks good and you can pick up the wing from the trailing edge without flexing it.
Hope this helps, good luck.

Curtis

monty777er

Post by monty777er » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:01 pm

Haha but sad faced; I guess I got the same 'kit' as you did. I'll revisit this post when I get to the tips.

Flygirl

Post by Flygirl » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:20 am

monty777er wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:05 am
Very nice. I've yet to do my tips so this is helpful. However when I recieved my droop tips from MAM I did not get any additional parts. What should I have recieved such as stringer material and ribs?
Thanks
Monty
To those ordering Droop Tips. The attachment is a ship list of parts that should be coming with your tips.
Droop Tip Ship List.jpg

c120pilot

Post by c120pilot » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:27 am

Something changed. My daughter in Washington drove to the factory and picked them up for me. Just the tips no drawings or instructions. I just winged it.........

Curtis

GaryK

Post by GaryK » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:58 pm

Curtis,
Nice job on the wingtips and great photos to show the stringer extensions.