Sub-Instrument Panel

General building discussions, not model specific.
Jerry Folkerts

Sub-Instrument Panel

Post by Jerry Folkerts » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:42 am

I've seen quite a few pictures where people have added an additional panel (approximately 1.5-2 inches) high underneath the kit provided instrument panel. I'm interested in adding this type of panel but only in the center to accommodate my Throttle, Mixture, Prop, and possibly cabin/carb heat. I see where this would be helpful if I ever needed to work behind the panel -- I could simply drop the part with the cables, and have somewhat decent access to everything else. My question -- do I need to reinforce this sub-panel in any way? Or, simply add a .063 or greater sub-panel.
Thanks,
Jerry Folkerts
Jerry Folkerts
SW Colorado
SR 2500 #093
http://www.mykitlog.com/jfolkerts
http://www.thepedalrv.com

rogerk

Re: Sub-Instrument Panel

Post by rogerk » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:22 pm

IMAG0148.jpg
hi jerry

This what I did for my Moose. The center of the panel with the instruments is a removable panel (currently removed)

I went most of the way across and I used .040" 6061. I found by folding the seams top and bottom and using the thicker sheet it was fairly solid but for the throttle etc you would need to reinforce it a bit.

Hope this helps
Roger K

snowyriver

Post by snowyriver » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:55 pm

That through the panel access is great. Another tip you might can still do is make the control stick base removable. It is no fun to lie across it while working under your panel! Even with the panel openings youll still need to get under there from time to time. Craig
Craig Walls
Retired Firefighter
Flying as of September 2011

rogerk

Post by rogerk » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:59 pm

I agree on the removable stick, both of mine can be removed with one pin and a 17 pin cannon connector in 30 seconds
Roger K

irishfield

Post by irishfield » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:06 am

Craig's talking about the Rebel / Elite... the entire control column is on the floor, not buried like the SR. No matter how much planning... you'll spend hours like this, especially when you're in the refurb business. The first thing I do is drill the column off the floor.

And for those still doing their panels PLEASE don't use nyloc nuts on the back of your instruments.. then trap them between a floating panel and the original panel and then use nuts again on that floater! :silent: I'd much appreciate it... before it gets to me in the future! :wave:
Attachments
stickout.jpg

irishfield

Post by irishfield » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:12 am

Oh.. and YES Jerry... if you do just a center extension riveted up to the bottom of the existing panel, it will need a few braces on it or she'll flex back and forth when using the throttle unless you have the friction backed right off to nil on same.