Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Maverick Landing Gear

General building discussions, not model specific.
Leon Joubert

Maverick Landing Gear

Post by Leon Joubert » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:09 am

Hello Murphy Builders,
I am a new member from South Africa building a partially completed Maverick (S/N 0136). The previous owner had done some good work on the tail feathers and wings and I have almost completed the fuselage.

The kit was shipped (back in 2008) with the spring gear option which was never received. (neither was the tail wheel leaf spring). I would have preferred the standard bungee gear but am now committed to using a spring gear due to mods already done.

I have access to an engineering works who can bend me a proper aluminum spring gear (2024 I think) but I need some dimensions in order to have it made.

What I need is as follows:
1) Plumb distance from firewall bottom to wheel axle center (i.e. gear-leg-hight)
2) Distance from wheel to wheel (i.e. gear-leg-width or wheel base)

Could someone please point me in the right direction as to where I might find these dimensions.

Regards,
Leon Joubert

Monocoupe

Re: Maverick Landing Gear

Post by Monocoupe » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:28 am

Hello Leon,

A word of cation here. The Maverick spring gear is not at all like the Rebel spring gear. The Maverick gear is a tapered steel rod type that mounts to the vertical members of the main cabin bulkhead. The floor structure of the Maverick is not suitable for a bottom mounted aluminum gear. I would seriously look at re-configuring back to the bungee gear if it were my project.
You can contact me directly at the factory if you like. murtech@murphyair.com or (604) 792-5855 ext 236

Cheers, Nigel

Leon Joubert

Post by Leon Joubert » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:21 am

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

Yes I would prefer the standard gear but the previous builder had already cut off all the mountings for this.

I realize the cabin floor can not accept a spring gear by itself as is, therefore I am devising a plan to transfer the loads to the original mounting points (or as near as possible).

May I run this past you when I have some drawings please?

Could you please give me the dimensions needed for the landing gear?

1) Gear height (firewall bottom to wheel center)
2) Gear width (wheel to wheel inboard)

I sent you email to murtech@murhyair.com but it could not be delivered - any idea why?

Regards,
Leon.

mikefairbanks
Site Admin

Post by mikefairbanks » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:30 am

Leon,

Check your spelling... you have the email listed as murtech@murhyair.com... should be murtech@murphyair.com... notice the missing "p".
Mike Davis
Fairbanks, Alaska
"I'd rather be flying!"

Leon Joubert

Post by Leon Joubert » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:48 am

Mike,
Thanks for the correction but ironically I made the error only in the Post. The actual address I mailed to was correct. I tried it a few times - bounces every time. Seems the error lies with my SP.
Regards,
Leon.

Monocoupe

Post by Monocoupe » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 am

Hi Leon,
The murtech address was supposed to have been fixed....apparently not. :roll:

Try shipping@murphyair.com Lets talk about your landing gear as I think I can help you out here.......

Cheers, Nigel

Monocoupe

Post by Monocoupe » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:46 am

Leon,
I recieved your test e-mail at shipping and have replied. I'm thinking that you may not have recieved it as apparently nobody else has recieved any of my e-mails today from either address. We have been experiencing problems with our system.......they are working on it!

Cheers, Nigel

Monocoupe

Post by Monocoupe » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi Leon,

I have been recieving your e-mails but it would appear that nobody is getting my replies. System problems continue I'm afraid. I will respond as soon as our problems are fixed. As for the picture that you sent me of Maverick S/N 003, those gear legs are the tapered steel rod type, but with sheet aluminum fairings over them.

Cheers, Nigel