Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Let the Painting Begin

General building discussions, not model specific.
Jerry Folkerts

Let the Painting Begin

Post by Jerry Folkerts » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:29 am

Today, I sprayed the first pieces of SR #093 (N25SR Reserved). I want to paint the interior of the aircraft before I install all the powder coated control pieces, especially the forward floor and the ceiling. So yesterday, I removed the two forward side panels and the two forward floor panels and got them ready to paint. Based on a local painters work on a friends RV-8, I chose a product from ChemSpec USA (an Australian Company) called MetaCryl Pro. It is a 2K Polyurethane with a very high solid content -- much more than the usual suspects such as Imron. That means I can spray it with very low pressure, get excellent coverage, and reduce the chance of runs at rivet heads. The local painter sprayed Dave's RV-8 in his hangar with nothing on the floor and got no overspray on the floor. That's what sold me. That said, it is nasty stuff, so I suited up in the paint suit and put on the hobby air mask. I was very pleased with the outcome, although I need to mess with how much paint I'm allowing through the gun, and do a better job of wiping down with a tack cloth etc for dust control. The cost was $91 for the quart which actually makes about a quart and a half. 2 parts color to one part hardener (volume) and then 5% (weight) reducer. The quart is easily going to complete the interior of the Super Rebel. Here's a picture:
IMG_1787.JPG
Jerry Folkerts
SW Colorado
SR 2500 #093
http://www.mykitlog.com/jfolkerts
http://www.thepedalrv.com