Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Zinc Chromate Alternatives

General building discussions, not model specific.
TongueTied

Zinc Chromate Alternatives

Post by TongueTied » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:16 am

What Zinc Chromate Epoxy Primer alternatives would you recommend? I haven't been able to track down any Zinc Chromate Epoxy Primer down under. I've found a few self etch primers that are supposed to be good for aluminum but are these appropriate? What do you suggest?

Thanks
Philip
Rebel 489R

Elite583

Re: Zinc Chromate Alternatives

Post by Elite583 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:00 pm

TongueTied wrote:What Zinc Chromate Epoxy Primer alternatives would you recommend? I haven't been able to track down any Zinc Chromate Epoxy Primer down under. I've found a few self etch primers that are supposed to be good for aluminum but are these appropriate? What do you suggest?

Thanks
Philip
Not sure if it can be had in Oz but we use Dupont Corlar self etching primer available from autobody material jobbers. I called the Dupont tech line & asked and this was their recommendation.

Dave 8)
Elite583

Rebel541

Post by Rebel541 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:38 pm

G'day Dave, Phil and others .....

Ok - I used aerosol cans of Zinc Oxide - rather than Zinc Chromate
( Zinc Oxide is no where near as dangerous / carcenogenic as the chromate - so I have been told )

Zinc Oxide is available from many outlets in Oz .... "A.P.E." at Bankstown Airport carries it
Aircraft Spruce carries it etc ...

I only used it between overlapping skins - mainly to protect against
Any water electrolysis that may occur ....
Don't forget - the Rebel is made with 6061T6 - which is "exterior grade" ( and "structural grade" as well ) - aluminium !

IE : it's NOT like 2024T3 - which HAS to be treated with something ALL OVER - due to its crappy
Corrosion properties !

Unless you are puting your Rebel on floats & SALT water - you don't need "all over protection" !!!

Hope this helps !

Rick in Orstraylya ....
D'oH !
Rick "Biggus" Harper in OZ
Kits 541 & 432

Rebel 804

Post by Rebel 804 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:21 am

G'Day Dave, I am using BMS 10/11, a Boeing spec epoxy primer between all the faying surfaces and assembling while wet, including dipping the rivets.
Just hope hope that I never have to take anything apart. It is available from PPG in Tullamarine, or if you have a friendly airline LAME, a bit cheaper. :wink:
(they are fussy about shelf life.) :lol: PS just don't get it where you may want to paint later.
John
Rebel 804 down under.

TongueTied

Post by TongueTied » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks everyone. I took the plunge and bought some EP420/430 from Aviaquip. I'll use that between mating surfaces at least. Being near the coast, I will probably do a light dusting of self etch primer on the inside surfaces.
Cheers,
Philip
Rebel 489R